
First off, there's family history. A preponderance of have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism, or a really shitty environment growing up. Meredith is so special she needs BOTH. Her father's involvement in the show is two fold.
A. He shows up to kinda rub it in/apologize for the fact he was not around much.
B. To be a drunken asshole and embarrass his daughters and himself. (Lexie acknowledges that she is basically used to her Dad just being a drunk mess her how life during that not that hot minute where she was hooking up with Kerev)
Then of course, there's the infamous Ellis Grey.
Not since Mommie Dearest has one woman caused inflicted more emotional damage on the world than Ellis Grey. She cheated on her husband, which along with being totally career obsessed drove daddy Thatcher away.( ps Ellis and Thatcher? can we get some real names for these people.) She then proceeded to neglect her daughter and refuse her husband the right to see their child, making sure she had NO parent who cared for her well-being. Then she gets early onset Alzheimer's and her daughter bends over backwards to care for her and make sure no one knows. Miraculously, her mother wakes up and is totally lucid, and delivers possibly the greatest moment in this show EVER. She decides that since Meredith hasn't taken over the world yet she sucks and calls her a disappointment. Some day I hope my mother comes back to life after a debilitating coma or the like and says something as devastating, but I fear this will never happen.
In Case you need to see the majesty for yourself, here you go. I know I have it on loop. That her mother refers to her as a force of nature makes me thing she's in on my "Perfect Storm" Theory. If you don't think that my blaming mom is scientific, some guy named Cloninger says you can suck my dick in Paragraph two of the subheading "Does Stress Influence Drinking".
Speaking of stress, bitch works in a hospital. Not like a normal "my leg broke" hospital. Not ever a "semi-serious surgery every so often hospital". No, she works in a "There's an active bomb in my chest" kinda hospital. The amount of actual death and disease drama that goes on is almost as much as the emotional bullshit drama that she adds to her life by being fucking crazy. How does Meredith Deal with stress? like this. notice the intent on her face. She's fucking SERIOUS about drinking. In last week's episode, Meredith's fiancee basically mutilates a patient, killing her. He then tries to beat the shit out of his best friend. How does Meredith deal with this? she brings him home, takes out the tequila, and they go shot for shot in COMPLETE SILENCE. I really don't think she even asked if he wanted to talk about it or anything. Just brought him home and got him fucked up. She probably slept with him too and then didn't remember it in the morning.
Meredith's romantic relationships also follow in the same vein. When it's revealed how she met Derek Shepard and how she spent her last night before her residency, she's ordering shots of tequila at the bar, alone. I mean, her next day is her first day of her residency but does that stop her? No. She then hooks up with the first straight guy who looks at her, who turns out to be her once and future boyfriend. Also amazing is that the lines "I'm always sorry in the morning." and "I'm just a girl in a bar" are the intro to her.
When they break up for the first time she, to quote wiki, " gets drunk and has sex with George, only to cry in the middle of the encounter". Wow- My boyfriend left me so I'm once again getting wasted and sleeping with anyone. If crying during sex isn't a warning sign, I don't know what is. I'm pretty sure every episode of Intervention I've ever seen with a female alcoholic had her sleeping with alot of gross guys on accident. While Meredith's drunk goggles are pretty good, it's also fictional. If it were real life, she would have probably slept with half of Seattle by now, and not the pretty ones.
As we all know, alcoholism doesn't effect just the alcoholic. it effects everyone. Mainly, it effects Christina Yang. Here's a photo of Sandra Oh from before she really started spending her life putting up with Meredith Grey's Shit.

And here is a screenshot from the last episode.

Obviously- it's a problem that's effecting us all.
However, I am not here to judge Meredith. I'm just here to offer my help in any way I can with her problem... Preferably outside the Blue Agave in Chicago, over some guacamole and Horni Margarita's with her game face on and no whining.

in other news, I blacked out at 7:30pm on Saturday. way to set the bar.

No comments:
Post a Comment