So it's been a little over a week since Iowa and I feel I finally have digested the trip enough to talk about it. It...kinda sucked. Not most of the time, in fact Thursday night was probably one of the best nights i had in Iowa for the sheer random joy ( it was Annie, Sam, Colin, and I) and Friday were awesome. Basically Saturday afternoon and Sunday sucked.I really thought that going back would be like visiting Ann Arbor, but I was completely wrong. My dad put it best when he mentioned that I've never actually lived in Ann Arbor, I've only been a visitor. It's weird to be a guest somewhere that you lived for 4 years. It just didn't feel right during the day. Being in Iowa City and having nowhere to go was probably one of the most awful feelings I've had recently. I kept wanting to go back to the Ivy House but it's not mine anymore. It felt really shitty to not be able to just collapse on my own couch and not worry about being a burden on people.
The other weird part was keeping people separate. Meghan was being really weird about having as little outside people as possible. So Thursday night and Friday i spent all day dodging Sam and Annie's questions about what was happening that night which was unfair to me to have to lie to these people who are letting me crash on their couch. On Friday for poppy we snuck in Ben and Colin as there so it was fine, but then Saturday was super awkward. It was just me, Meghan, aly, and their boyfriends. Jared, Meghan's boyfriend, was sick and left early so Meghan was worried most of the night. I just wish she had only had the Friday in Iowa party, so that Saturday i could see more people and things. I mean, while i was there to visit her, i was also there to see a million other people and hang out in Iowa City.
Meghan was trying to convince me to stay for the Superbowl but after Saturday night i just wasn't feeling it and wanted to go home. Instead, i had to deal with another tire blowout this time within view of the Mississippi River. fucking lame as shit. the guy couldn't get my tire off, which turned out to be a good thing because instead of putting on my shitty spare and sending me to a walmart for ANOTHER overpriced off brand tire, he had to tow me back to his shop where they put a real tire on and let me go home and only charged me like 20 bucks ( tire was from a totaled car with recently bought tires). I knew the tire was going to blow. I could sense it. I was literally about to pull over to get some air when it happened. There was alot of screaming- more guttural than i've heard from myself in a while. The experience was at least therapeutic.
This was the 2007 Superbowl. Just sat around my house with Erin, Ben, and Corey( of course, before Corey turned into a Parasitic jackass). Later on Christina and I think Annie came by. I had my own place to stay where I belonged. All my friends were still in town. This visit just felt incomplete. It made me realize that, although Prague is amazing, I probably wouldn't have lasted if I tried to move there. So much of my experience there, like in Iowa, had much more to do with the people i was with. Even though I can call up my favorite restaurant or a really good place to just sit and hang out outside, The only reason I have fond memories is because of the people with whom I shared these places.
This trip did assure me of one thing though, which is that I believe I'll stay friends with Colin for a long time. We spent a good majority of this visit descending into bitch fights that while other people got uncomfortable, we knew actually meant nothing and were pretty easily dropped. I don't think I can be friends with someone I can't fight with, because usually a fight starts because someone said an honest opinion. That's really what killed Jer and I, the fact that he's too much of a bitch right now to really be able to take justly deserved criticism. Ben and I may have a shot to, but our conversations are so sporadic that I can't be sure.
Also- I threw up at Joe's one last time. I'm very happy about that :)

No comments:
Post a Comment