Wednesday, May 6, 2009

New York I love you, but you're bringing me down

As i said before. I moved. I finally fucking moved. You would think that maybe i was super busy and that's why i didn't update. well yes, for a period maybe i could get away with that, but not really anymore.

The weekend I moved here was great, my cousin Stephanie and her husband were here along with my dad and my sister. We hung out, got drunk.. had good times. Afterwords I got a job almost IMMEDIATELY for data entry thanks to a friend. I spent three weeks working 8 hours a day, coming home, applying for jobs, and passing out. then one friday my immediate supervisor tells me "as long as you're sitting there we'll have work for you" which, awesome right? I went on
to have an amazing weekend than included these photos.
First I ran into a parade after going through two street fairs
Then walked all around the city from 14th and 8th ave to radio city, before grabbing a smoothing and reading and rocking out in Central Park

After that i walked around some more before hitting Union square to check out art and fresh apples and heading home. I went out that night with a friend from Prague and got crazyhammered and ended up blacking out and waking up on a train in a sitting position at 6 am. I went home, tried to sleep some of it off, and then went to Staten Island to watch cricket and have margaritas in the a park.
I feel good most of the day but come home and return to horrible hangover of death. wake up monday and call in sick because i felt like i was going to die.

Then Tuesday comes around. all my work has been outsourced to India and they basically allow me to work for 12 hours and tell me that i've been such a good data entry person i've actually finished the job I was hired to do about 2 weeks earlier than expected so....bye now. Now this sucked for two reasons.

A. I have a habit of getting used to a sitatuion really early. I had already gotten extremely attached to working 8 hours and then walked from 6th( where the office was ) to 1st every day as long as it wasn't raining. I really do enjoy working. even if it's a meaningless drone job. I like having something to do.

B. They had just assured me stable employment not 5 days previous. nothing new happened in those 5 days that i could tell except them voluntarily moving all their shit to India.

Since then I've been spending way too much. Or at least it feels like I have. I get a paycheck for about 40 hours of work this friday, which will essentially cover up my last week where i shitted away alot of money. And now i'm back to applying for jobs again full-time. WHICH SUCKS. I hate it so much. this comic, courtesy of Captain Excelsior, explains why I am pissing away money, and what I wish I could do to the bars here. This is from week 16, in case you want to see it bigger or can't read it.

My friend called Monday to tell me that she has a job that they want her to take on full time but after one day she was thinking of quitting because it's boring. I asked her how much they paid and she said "i don't know, like 5-6 hundred a week?" I graduated college almost a full year ago and I STILL haven't found at job that will pay me more than 10 dollars an hour. I wanted to fucking throttle her. I think I convinced her to keep it though.

I just really wish I was done job searching. I want to be placed somewhere. I don't really care about getting an editing job anymore. I've discovered over the last month that editing world kinda suck and you never get a real full time job unless until you're 30 and hate life.

The main reason for the "bringing me down" part of New York is the job part, but there's another issue. While i do have a decent amount of friends in the city, I always feel like I'm imposing on them when i call to hang out, so I try not to. This week has been perpetual rain and so with looking for a job and the rain I don't leave my apartment. I'll post tomorrow on happier issues like the cats i live with and how I do have a kinda awesome Apt for the price. Tonight let's just let the angst out. I mean, they all obs have other friends who've they've met through work or school so I don't want to constantly tag along with them and make it awkward because they feel the need to fill me in on shit, but at the moment I don't really have the capacity to make my own friends- besides 50 year olds in bars who love me.

oh- and to top it all off i haven't been able to write a word since I came. No inspiration at all. Dried up like an old vagina.
That's enough whining for now. I'll get back to fun stuff tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment